Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Smoke #1 (de Campi, Kordey)

I'm reading Smoke #1, a comic/premiere format from IDW Publishing. I finally got around to reading this indie title, written by Alex de Campi and illustrated by Igor Kordey).

I like the whole Dark Knight Returns-ish near future (except in London), and the characters ("ex-soldier-turned-government-assassin" (but-really-wants-out-of-the-whole-business); cheeky nasty ex-girlfriend; doddering general serving as assassin fodder, etc.) each seem to have a rich backstory at which is only subtly hinted.

I think I need to give Igor Kordey's art some more time, but though I like his scenery and architecture, I'm not crazy about his people -- especially their faces (Lucy the Ex looks like Chucky in her panel reveal).

I probably need to pick up the other two issues in the run, or maybe just the trade paperback, just to give the whole thing a fair shake.

No comments: